Many Halloween costumes have stood the test of time. Trick-or-treaters are bound to come up against fellow ghosts, vampires and zombies each Halloween, while popular movies also set trends in new Halloween costumes.
If you are among the throngs of people ready to transform into a mythical, heroic or mysterious creature for Halloween, consider these costumes that figure to be popular this season.
* Iron Man: Robert Downey Jr. has starred in yet another installment of this popular film. This robotic suit that turns an ordinary person into an evil-fighting maven will once again be popular this Halloween.
* Superman: Speaking of superheroes, few have been as prolific as Superman, and he figures to be just as popular this Halloween thanks to the success of the summer blockbuster "Man of Steel."
* The Lone Ranger: Despite flopping at the box office, this Johnny Depp film may still have people dressing up in eye masks, western hats or Native-American-inspired face paint to pay homage to its classic characters.
* Minion: Thanks to the release of "Despicable Me 2," yellow bean-shaped minions figure to be popular this Halloween.
* Birds and Pigs: Each new version of the "Angry Birds" franchise provides opportunities for fans to dress up as projectile feathered friends and their porcine foes.
* Mike Wazwski: The central character from "Monsters University" figures to be popular among young Halloween enthusiasts this year.
* Annie: This year marked the return of the red-headed orphan to the stage, and many children may be anxious to don her signature dress and red curls and belt out their own renditions of "Tomorrow."